25 November 2011

speechless...

when my sister was in college, she studied in luxembourg her junior year. i happened to be living in san diego at the time, out of college, working. my parents were going to visit her in early november. (2004 i think?) then, my little brother and sister got to go. as a surprise. and my sister kinda figured that out. she "knew" they were going to come. well, what felt like last minute, i was able to get the time off work and go to europe with my fam for two weeks. my parents knew (they bought my tickets!), but no one else did. our flights connected in toronto, so we all flew there, and i waited for them to get off their first plane. my little bro and sis were shocked! it was such a fun surprise. then, we met stef in lux. we were at our hotel. mom and dad were in one room, and then byss and dd jumped out and surprised her. THEN, they brought her to where i was, and she was surprised again.

i woke up this morning, and tried to call my mom (david tells me my umbilical cord gets in the way sometimes...). her phone was off. let me tell you, it is NEVER off. i brushed it off for a few, thinking it was weird. two hours later, when her phone was STILL off, AND, she hadn't called me, i started thinking that was weird. i talked to my sibs and my dad (all who claimed they had no idea where she was, but was "probably out shopping"), so i knew some tragedy hadn't happened.

david and i were taking the kids to the beach. i turned to him and said, "is my mom on a plane to come surprise me"? he was so quick and said, "just because you can't get ahold of your mom for one hour, she MUST be on a plane?" (side note... not getting ahold of my mom is one thing. her phone being OFF is another...) at the beach, i teased him and said, "is that my mom's plane?" as a plane flew overhead.

we get home. still no phone call. and now NO ONE is answering their phone. and david has to "go into work". (which i totally believed because of some things going on at work this week...) and i started to think about time frame. from when i couldn't reach my mom to when david had to go to work, was about the correct amount of time for a flight to be coming here.

just before david left for work, i checked his phone. he called my mom this week. in the middle of a work day. WEIRD. so now, i couldn't rule it out. but then i checked the computer. no flight status checks. weird. now i wasn't sure. (side note- david told me he's glad he's never going to cheat on me, since i am so suspicious!!!)

and my hopes started to rise. my house was a mess, from kids yesterday, china out, christmas decor everywhere. i even started cleaning up, "just in case". and then david walked in from work. by himself. i teased him again, and said, "you don't have my mom?" again, he was quick witted. and he started helping me move the tv. (like i had been asking all day...) and then, my door opened again. and in walked my mom! it was so much fun. apparently, i scared nora as i screamed, because she ran and hid. and then was thrilled to see my mom.

david has been teasing me all day at how hard i am to surprise. i really don't want to be! there was something about today that was just weird. no one's answers made sense. my mom's phone is NEVER off! i just couldn't figure it out.

the best part was when she walked in to get jamey, who had been napping. he clung to her. for, no joke, the next twenty minutes, at least. he wouldn't even lift up his head. at one point, she even asked him if he was okay... he just clung to her. so sweet...
so sweet...
i mean, really... he didn't move.

2 comments:

Amos said...

so glad you were a little bit surprised. That is an accomplishment with the Presley's. Especially since so many of us knew. I think Emily would have figured it out!

abby @{eatrunteach} said...

So fun Michelle! Glad you get to spend some time with your mom. :)