03 March 2013

a phone call...

eight years ago today, i went on my last first date.  i am so glad that i went on that date!!!

have i ever told you how we met?  a friend of my mom's was a friend of d's mom.  she realized that both d and i were in the navy and stationed in san diego.  d was on a six month deployment, on his way home.  he sent me the first email from hawaii...  (and sadly, i realized a few weeks ago, i have NO RECORD anymore of those emails...  sad michelle!)

he emailed me and told me he would call me when he got into port.  i loved his emails.  they were so well written (weird that i liked that?).  but i was intrigued.  and so i googled him.  and found out that he was a squash and tennis player.  he was pretty good at it, too!  but, i couldn't find a pic.  

so, this boy showed up at my door (pre-arranged of course!  i even offered to give him directions, and he didn't want them.  he didn't want restaurant suggestions.  we agreed on a time and he set it all up.  i was a little confused!  and LOVED that he just took charge!).  he was handsome, and we had fun.  i didn't offer to pay, and he didn't seem to expect me to pay (later, he told me how thankful he was that i hadn't offered!!!).  we went to benihana's, and to see "hitch".  

we decided to go out again, a few days later.  he was going to be leaving for three weeks.  we had fun. neither of us was head over heels.  i figured we would be friends.  but, he left.  and didn't call.  for a LONG time (like 1 1/2 weeks...).  so i was intrigued!  when he did call, we had a GREAT conversation.  and i bought an $800 plane ticket home for easter.  (to see him, but i couldn't TELL him that!!!)

we had fun at home, and my fam loved him!  we had a big family breakfast (just the kids), and hung out one evening.  and went back to san diego.  when he came back, a week later, that was it.  we were in it to win it!  six months later, we were married!

so, i am thankful today that i went on that date.  and that we kept dating.  and that he is reading to our kids on the couch as i write this!  he's an amazing man, and i couldn't ask for more.  thankful today, that i get to sit next to him in church and hear him sing.  that we can see a baptism on the beach and hear him explain it to our kids.  love what an amazing man of God he is.  and how he loves me and all my crazy!!!  eight years...  it went fast!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Happy happy anniversary! As I recall, there was a friend there next to you as you were Google stalking your soon-to-be-husband...;-)