05 February 2012

sweet baby...

don't mind the man behind me... he's playing on the iPad.  sweet baby christohper took his first bottle today.  from his sister!  she LOVED being able to help.  it was so sweet...

we also all enjoyed the super bowl with some friends.  david made up a great pool for us, and we just had fun.  we are getting ready to enjoy mom-mom's last week here.  she's not excited to go back to the snow!!  

i was at church today, and the "nursing room" is in the school's library (there is a church and a school together...).  as i sat in this elementary school's library, it took me back to MY elementary school and their library.  i LOVED to read.  i still love to read.  

when i was in fourth grade, we moved to a new town and switched schools.  i made a few friends right away (some that i STILL HAVE!).  i remember talking with some of the girls about how the new babysitter's club book was coming out.  that was a series that i was really in to.  

well, we all knew the date that our library was getting the book.  and, if you got to school early, the librarian would let you check out the book.  well, i told my dad this, and he was driving us to school (i don't think we had even moved into our new house yet... for him to have been driving us!).  i REALLY wanted to be the first to get that book.  well, if you know twinsburg/reminderville at all, you know that the  speed limit is 25 mph, and the cops WAIT for you.  

we were new there.  my dad didn't know that.  but, he knew that his baby girl REALLY wanted to get to school early and get this book (which involved beating everyone else to school!).  when my dad got pulled over, i felt SO BAD!!!  he was hurrying because of me.  but, i don't ever remember him being mad about it.  i think he just smiled at me, and we went on our way.

i actually don't remember him getting a ticket (they may have let him off).  and i don't even remember if i got there first to get the book.  i think i might have.  but, i do remember my dad hurrying to get me there for something that was SO IMPORTANT to me.  it wasn't a big deal at all.  it was a book.  and if i didn't get it that day, i would have gotten it in a few days.  but he did it for me.  and i felt loved.  

i know that's such a random story, but as i sat there, nursing my sweet baby, i thought about my attitude with my kids.  what am i willing to do for them?  how am i making their life fun, doing things for THEM, not for me?  (disclaimer: life does NOT revolve around my children.  nor am i saying i should do everything they ever want, get them anything they want, etc...  i am also not saying that my mom never did stuff like that for me.  my mom once drove me 8 hours to see a boy i liked... but that's another story!)

i want to give my kids those memories.  again, i think it comes back to perspective.  if i can only see my messy house, but not the kids that want to play, or the things i want to get done in a day and not the opportunities with them in front of me, my perspective is sorely out of whack...

anyway...  love you dad!  and thanks for letting mom be out here so long!!  

No comments: